Below are 5 key safety tips that every business should have in place to prevent fires, and limit damage in the event of a fire.
- Emergency Plan – Make sure you have a detailed emergency plan in place, and that all employees understand how to execute the plan.
- Proper Fire Protection Equipment – Companies should invest in fire safety equipment such as fire alarms, sprinklers and fire extinguishers. Make sure your fire alarms are connected and monitored, so if there is a fire, the fire department is notified immediately. This helps save lives and limits the amount of damage to your property.
- Scheduled Routine Equipment Inspections/Testing – It is important to make sure you regularly have your fire equipment inspected and tested by a certified technician to make sure it is working properly.
- Appliance and Electrical Safety – Appliance and electrical fires are very common. Make sure employees understand how to properly store and use appliances. Electrical wiring and outlets should be checked regularly to make sure there are no issues or shortages that could cause potential risks.
- Emergency Lighting – If a fire occurs, it will cause a power outage. By having emergency lighting in place, your employees can evacuate safely.